“Disclaimer: I received a pair of Aftershokz Aeropex headphones to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!”
Aftershokz has been making some of the safest headphones on the market over the past few years now with their innovative bone conduction technology, allowing for you to “hear it all.” With bone conduction technology, you are able to keep your ears uncovered and hear everything that is going on around you. The Aeropex headphones are the newest headphones from Aftershokz that promises to a more dynamic bass, higher volume, and less vibration.
If you are unfamiliar with what bone conduction headphones are, the headphones sit on your cheek bones and delivers sound through the bones rather than directly into your eardrums like earbuds do.
The Aeropex headphones weight less than 1 once, have an 8 hour battery life of music, calls, audio books, and podcasts or 10 days of standby time, and fully waterproof.
I have been wearing the Aeropex now for about a month and I think I have gotten a good feel for them. So here are my thoughts; positive and negative. First lets start with the positives:
- Aftershokz delivered on the light weight aspect of these headphones. with wighing less than an ounce, there are many times that I forget that I have them on.
- Comfort. With other Aftershokz, especially the Trexz Titanium headphones, overtime my cheek bones become sore from wearing them over time. But the Aeropex sit very comfortably.
- While I haven’t really had to test them out much, I do like that they are waterproof. I have no desire to swim in them, and I don’t think they would hold up for long in the water, it is good to know on those hot days when you want to dump water all over yourself, they will be fine.
- Sound quality is much improved from that of the Trekz Titanium and Trekz Air headphones.
Now for my negatives:
- I am not a fan of the magnetic charging cords. My understanding is that they had to do this for them to be waterproof. My issue with that is, you cant find replacement cords anywhere. I don’t even see them on their website. However, Aftershokz does include 2 of these cords with each pair of Aeropex headphones.
- They are louder. I know a lot of people will like this, but I feel that Aftershokz has kind of turned away from their foundation of creating a headphone that is safe for runners or bikers by hearing everything around you and still listen to your music. With the louder capabilities of the Aeropex headphones, you can easily drown out your surroundings. I feel this is a step backwards and was not needed.
If you have a pair of the new Aeropex headphones, what are your thoughts? Do you agree with me?
If you would like to get your hands on a pair of Aeropex headphones, go to Aftershokz and use code “BRBUNDLE” to save $50 off the Adventure pack!