*Disclaimer: my workouts are designed specially for me by my coach, Jake Gillette. I will be giving you some general ideas of what I did over the last week, but not all the specifics since they are designed to meet the level I am at, for what my goals are, and it is also my coaches business.
Well, I am now down to just a few days until the Vermont City Marathon. This will be my second marathon this spring with the two marathons being 4 weeks apart. After an awful first marathon, the goal is simple. Get my butt acrossed that finishline in under 3 hours and 10 minutes. More on that in a little bit, first let’s go over this weeks training.
- Monday: 7 miles
- Tuesday: 8 miles including 800 meter intervals
- Wednesday: 6.1 miles (50 minutes easy)
- Thursday: 5 miles with 2 of those miles at sub marathon pace
- Friday: 7 miles easy
- Saturday: 10 mile long run
- Sunday: rest day
Total for the week: 43.1
Total for May: 104.5
Total for 2016: 923.96 miles
Nothing real special about this week. Legs are starting to feel stronger and starting to feel ready to crank out another BQ attempt.
Goals for Vermont City
As stated at the top, I want to get done in 3:10. That means I need to run at a 7:14 mile pace. There are 2 hills on the course that I need to focus on. The first comes at mile 8, and the second is right after mile 15. Both hills look to be about a half mile long. After mile 8, there is about a 5-6 mile of net downhill. This somewhat reminds me of Boston. Thing is, I can’t do what I did at Boston and just let it all out on the downhills. It killed me in Boston, it will kill me again.
After mile 16, it’s basically down hill for the last 10 miles. This is when I plan to just start picking up the pace. If my legs feel strong, mile by mile I want to gradually pick up the pace and see how far under 3:10 I can get. I know when I am at my peak, I can get under 3:00. However, I know I am not quiet 100% and do the main goal is to get another BQ and build confidence going into the summer as I start focusing on the Chicago Marathon.
Total for 2017: 880.86
- May 28 Vermont City Marathon (use code “BibRaveDSCT” to save $5 on registration.).
- June 3 Sunburst HalfMarathon South Bend, IN
- June 7 The Big Run 5k hosted by Fleet Feet Sports amishawaka.
- June 10 Randy Miner Memorial Country Run Etna Green, IN
- June 17: Courthouse Classic Lagrange, IN
- July 16 Chicago Rock N Roll Half Marathon (use code BIBRAVE 15 to save $15 on registration)
- July 30 B Strong 5k Bremen, IN
- October 8th: Chicago Marathon
- October 29: Hot Chocolate Run Chicago 15k (use code BRHCCHI17 for Bonus SWAG)
- November 4th: Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
More races and discounts to come in the near future!